Say it isn't so...

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:46 PM
Is TigerMud really now about dead? I was hoping that's not the case. Its a great system for a fantasy text mud.
What is the reasons for it dying? I looked at using TigerMud but my only concern was that it had spells in it and i was after a scifi type text game system. Thats one reason i went to HanClinto's MITESERVER Text Game Scripting Engine project on SourceForge.net. Its a completely open to any genre type text game. Alas, though,  real life issues came up and MiteServer is not actively developed anymore either. If TigerMud is truely kerput, is there any chance of the license on it being changed to say a MIT license where commerical development would be allowed? Thats another thing that kept me from investigating the TigerMud system a lot. Another question i have had is "Are Text Games so yesterday that nobody is willing use them anymore?" Whats your thoughts on that?
Oh well, I hope your project isnt dead but just in a quiet time right now. I love text games and hate to see all the work here for naught.
RF
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2008 at 6:29 AM

RifleFire wrote:
Is TigerMud really now about dead? I was hoping that's not the case. Its a great system for a fantasy text mud.
What is the reasons for it dying? I looked at using TigerMud but my only concern was that it had spells in it and i was after a scifi type text game system. Thats one reason i went to HanClinto's MITESERVER Text Game Scripting Engine project on SourceForge.net. Its a completely open to any genre type text game. Alas, though,  real life issues came up and MiteServer is not actively developed anymore either. If TigerMud is truely kerput, is there any chance of the license on it being changed to say a MIT license where commerical development would be allowed? Thats another thing that kept me from investigating the TigerMud system a lot. Another question i have had is "Are Text Games so yesterday that nobody is willing use them anymore?" Whats your thoughts on that?
Oh well, I hope your project isnt dead but just in a quiet time right now. I love text games and hate to see all the work here for naught.
RF

Thanks for the words of support, but it's pretty dead. It died from lack of interest from the people that matter the most: the coders. Several great coders worked on it for a while and that kept it interesting for me and so I continued to code too. But when they lost interest so did I.

I put it on the Web for free, so no commercial development is permitted. Pay a developer to write an engine for you if you actually want to run a business in text gaming. I'm sure you could pay anyone from the Tigermud team to consult for you if you are serious about it. But what do you estimate is the market size for text games?

The work wasn't a waste because I became a much better coder doing it.

Cheers!
Adam

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:52 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM

adammil wrote:

RifleFire wrote:
RF

Thanks for the words of support, but it's pretty dead. It died from lack of interest from the people that matter the most: the coders. Several great coders worked on it for a while and that kept it interesting for me and so I continued to code too. But when they lost interest so did I.

I put it on the Web for free, so no commercial development is permitted. Pay a developer to write an engine for you if you actually want to run a business in text gaming. I'm sure you could pay anyone from the Tigermud team to consult for you if you are serious about it. But what do you estimate is the market size for text games?

The work wasn't a waste because I became a much better coder doing it.

Cheers!
Adam

Adam,
Thanks for the reply. Your right, the market for text games is nearly nil. I believe that only Gemstone still big on the pay for play stuff. But i don't play it for that reason, among others.
I guess the next big field that i am looking at is either using ASP.net and c# 2008 and/or Silverlight to make a game engine for public release one day. Time will tell cause i stink right now, as a coder. I have very limited coding knowledge. Would you or anyone else wanna help with such a project? One thing is for sure, the new type game engines will have to have graphics and sounds and if a person uses the browser for the presentation, it might fly better. But then you run into the various browsers that are different from one another at displaying stuff. Oh well, its something i am gonna hope to do one day.
Thanks again for the time and effort you put into tigermud. Glad you are a much better coder from it.
RF