This project is read-only.

SharpDevelop 2.2 confirmed to work great with TigerMUD

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2008 at 9:44 PM
The SharpDevelop folks continue to impress me.

I tested and confirmed that SharpDevelop 2.2 will compile and run TigerMUD perfectly. You can get it here:
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/#SharpDevelop22

This solves the problem of the Visual Studio Express versions being too limited to use. I made two adjustments to the code for this to work, so please use the latest code in the repository. See the checkin notes for details. No special delicate backflips or anything like that, so no worries about code maintenance.

Additionally, I noticed that SharpDevelop is even smoother and more refined than when I used it before. What an impressive product!

Simple comparision:
Visual Studio install - 30-45 minutes
SharpDevelop install - roughly 30 seconds

SharpDevelop IDE seems faster and more responsive and it supports Solution Items and SVN source control integration where VS Express does not.

Just for fun I am also playing with MonoDevelop to run TigerMUD on my iMac with OS X, but no promises there! :-)

Cheers!
Adam

Developer
Mar 16, 2008 at 3:03 AM
Wow, so... You converted me back to Visual Studio... And I've converted you to SharpDevelop? :D

I actually haven't had a chance to use either one for a while now... My Windows box is still fritzy and I haven't a good spot to set it up yet.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2008 at 4:03 AM

Yeah, I remember when I thought SharpDevelop was clunky, but its is really nice now. A few years of refinement made a huge difference.

Hope the PC situation works out for you.

cheers
adam